How to Get there?
Nearest Airport to Outerbanks is Norfolk International Airport . It is about 2.5 hours drive to the house. If you are flying into Norfolk, be sure to rent a 4×4 vehicle which will help you to get to the home.
What is unique about 4×4 area?
4×4 area has wide beaches, dense maritime forests and marshy sounside. This is 11 mile stretch of sand north of Corolla and south of Virginia border. A four wheel drive vehicle is required to explore this beach community, as there are no paved roads. It is an experience like no other. Once you are staying at our 4×4 beach property, you will drive on the beach and behind the dunes to access your vacation home. You will have an opportunity to observe the Corolla wild horses right in your backyard. This is just an Amazing experience.
Are passes required to drive or park on the 4×4 beaches?
Currituck County requires 4×4 parking permits to park on the beach beginning the last Saturday in April to the first Saturday in October. You do not need a pass to drive on the beach or park at the home.
How do I purchase parking pass for parking on 4×4 beaches?
Limited amount of passes are available for purchase online at https://currituckcountync.ticketspice.com/currituckbeachparking. The current cost of weekly pass is $50. You will have to pick up your pass in person after purchase.
Suggestions for driving on 4×4 beaches?
- We strongly recommend 4×4 or AWD vehicles with at least 7.5 inches of ground clearance.
- Bring a tire pressure gauge. Reduced tired pressure is critical to driving on the beach. Currituck County ordinance states that tire pressure cannot exceed 20 psi when traveling on the 4×4 beaches for vehicles weighing less than three-quarters of a ton, which is most vehicles. For vehicles weighing between three-quarters of a ton and one-ton, tire pressure cannot exceed 30 psi. Violators could receive a citation and a $50.00 fine. We strongly encourage your tire pressure to be 18-20 psi.
- Lower your tire pressure, prior to traveling to the North Beach Access ramp to the 4×4 beaches. No vehicle of any type may park or unload at the North Beach Access at any time. Complimentary air hoses are available in the parking lot of the Twiddy Corolla office for guests staying in the 4×4 area to re-inflate their tires.This office is next to Historic Corolla Park.
- Check the tide prior to arrival; low tide is ideal for beach driving: Outer Banks Tide Chart.
- Arrive before dark, as the beach is more difficult to navigate at night.
- The speed limit is 35 mph unless posted otherwise (15 mph when within 300 feet of pedestrians or wild horses).
- Avoid driving through the surf and seafoam – salt water is extremely corrosive. Drive either on the hard-packed sand near the edge of the water or on the soft sand just east of the dune line. Leave the middle of the beach for parked vehicles and beach-goers.
- All parked vehicles should be in the middle of the beach (east of the dune line and west of the hard-packed sand near the water’s edge). Do not block the flow of traffic with chairs, coolers, fishing lines, or any other items. Always be alert for moving vehicles when walking across the hard-packed sand.
- There is no parking for the first approximately 1.5 miles of the beach. Look for the sign to mark where parking begins. Violators will be towed.
- Drivers must be at least 16 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license.
- Currituck County does not allow street legal UTV/side-by-side vehicles except by ATV permits, which are only available to Currituck County residents and property owners. North Carolina allows street legal UTV/side-by-side vehicles on roadways, however, the 4×4 beach is not a roadway, but a Public Vehicular Area controlled by Currituck County.
- Currituck County does not allow personal motorized watercraft on the ocean. Jet skis and personal motorboats are allowed on the Currituck Sound. The closest boat ramp is located at the Whalehead Club in Corolla.
Best time to travel on the 4×4 beaches?
Low tide is the easiest time to travel, travel during day time. Check the weather and tide. You may have to wait if there is high tide or bad weather. During night be laert to changing beach conditions, people, horses or other animal, debris and tree stamps.
Where can I rent a 4×4 vehicle?
What does the Outer Banks offer in terms of entertainment?
Live music and karaoke can be found frequently around town at the local bars & restaurants. Some of our favorite spots depending on which town you’re staying in and what you’re in the mood for: Corolla Nightlife Duck Nightlife Kill Devil Hills Nightlife Kitty Hawk Nightlife Southern Shores Nightlife Nags Head Nightlife.
Are bed and bath linens provided?
Yes, bed and bath linens are provided for this home!
The following bed and bath linens are included for stays of at least 7 nights: Sheets for all beds and any advertised sleeper sofas or trundle beds 2 kitchen towels A bath mat for each full bathroom. 1 bath towel, 1 wash cloth and 1 hand towel for each person based on the sleeping capacity of the home Additional linens can be provided if requested and paid for prior to arrival.
Only Dogs no cats.
What type of vehicles are allowed?
Property is only accessible by All wheel drive vehicles. It is very common to not have several guests in the party who do not have 4×4 vehicles. We offer additional parking for guests who do not have 4×4 about 8 miles away from the property near Historic Corolla Park. The drive is about 23 minutes. The GPS coordinates are 36.377918, -75.831948.
How about those vehicles which are not AWD?
We offer additional parking for guests who do not have 4×4 about 8 miles away from the property near Historic Corolla Park. The drive is about 23 minutes. The GPS coordinates are 36.377918, -75.831948.
We Provide 3 parking spots
- At the beach, required to reduce tire pressure by approximately 10-15pounds.
- Parking off site 2.5 miles from the beach house.
- 4×4 vehicles at the beach house.
7 days minimum mostly required. We do have some flexibility in offseason. Please inquire.
Does the Pool open everyday or seasonal?
Pool is open from Memorial day to Labor day, we can open pool by request with $750 for a week fees. This is weather dependent. If it is really cool outside, the pool heaters will not be able to heat the pool and we do not want to take your money if it can’t be heated. If you need pool for ambience purposes only, please inquire. We have to check with our Pool and Spa team if they are able to open the pool. This will still cost $300.
Yes, but with a certain fees of $2000.
Yes, The kitchen is fully stocked with all dinnerware, silverware, pots and pans, and server ware. Basic appliances, such as a coffee maker, blender, toaster, and can opener are provided. IMPORTANT: Paper products, soap products, trash bags, spices, etc. (including toilet paper and dish soap) are not provided. Guests are responsible for purchasing or bringing these items.